Application in Working With HR
Week 1:
As a manager tasked with working with HR, this week's learning really pushed home the value that HR provides as a support function. As a manager, if I hadn't yet been using HR as a value-added support system, I would begin to explore the 6 paradoxes explained in the book and think about how these could be applied to the workplace today. Managers need to start to shift their mindset of how they view the various support functions and think, "How can they add value to my operations?" or "What struggles am I having that HR, or other support functions, can help me strategically overcome. Additionally, I would begin to focus on viewing the organization through the lens of the customer and ask myself, "How can we add value to the customer?".
Week 2:
As a manager tasked with working with HR, this week, I would start to digest the idea of whether I see my HR department as a "credible activist." First, I would break down the 4 factors and determine where they excelled, and improvements could be made. Then, I would ask myself the following questions:
1) Do I trust them when they say they will get something done? Do they follow through on commitments?
2)What types of relationships do HR have with the various stakeholders? Are they continuing to build upon those relationships?
3) Do they take ownership of their personal growth and development?
4) Are they taking an active interest in the profession?
Once I have the answers to these questions, I will begin to assess what areas are deficient and work on those areas.
Week 3:
Focusing on the HR Innovator and Integrator competency, I would analyze all of the current "best practices" in all of the Core HR Systems, but starting with the most important, Leadership. I would then determine what competencies encompass those that are "leaders" in my organization. Comparing the competencies of a leader and the competencies of those individuals will help me decide what potential leaders I have. It's essential to provide any necessary training and development to help them develop their skills. Finally, I would conduct annual performance reviews to measure the performance against the standards I set.
Week 4:
As a manager working with HR, I would begin to identify what technology we currently use and if there are any gaps that could be addressed with new technologies. I would ask my HR team: What tedious tasks do you have that you wish you didn't have to do? I would also look at how HR disseminates important information and think about whether we are using the right avenues for it. It may be that other routes of communication should be used depending on the message being delivered and the audience. If there are no bottom-up practices, it may be best to implement town hall meetings or focus groups. To communicate across departments, an internal social platform may be necessary if one isn't already in place. Establishing an Intranet through SharePoint would be an avenue I would like at for housing the platform. Based on feedback from SHRM Connect, this is an easy and user-friendly platform to use.
Week 5:
As a manager working with HR I would begin by taking the competency self-assessment and determine where the strengths and weaknesses lie. I would take the assessment using input from various individuals to achieve answers that re objective as possible. From there, I would prioritize those areas that needed to improve. Then, I would take the top two and develop a specific plan to achieve them. This process would involve senior leadership and the HR department as everyone's buy-in would be needed.
Comments
Post a Comment